For many years the abbey only brewed for its own needs. Only as of 1856 did the monks sell some beer at the gate now and again. Demand increased year on year, until the brewery had to expand in 1865 and 1897.
In 1921, the monks decided to sell their beer to the beer trade, whereby sales increased further. In the early ‘30s, a new brewing hall, yeast room and workshop came into use. Some buildings of the current brewery date from this period.
The bottling plant was modernised in 1956, and in 1968 the abbey obtained its own water treatment plant, long before there was any legal requirement for it. In 1991, they invested in a computer-controlled brewing hall. If it improves the quality, then they are happy to use new technologies.